Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Cropper

I've recently had to write some documentation for my new job. As with any documentation, screenshots are essential. In the past I have taken the whole Print Screen, Paste into an image program (like GIMP or Paint), and save to disk approach.

A while back I had stumbled upon a program named Cropper, but hadn't taken the time to give it a test run. Since I didn't already have any screen capturing software on my new system, I figured now would be a good time!

After installing and starting cropper, all you are presented with is a small icon in your system tray. At this point, you could simply follow your normal Print Screen (or Alt-Print Screen) routine and Cropper will automatically start saving BMP files into it's default Save folder. You could also double-click the system tray icon (or press F8) and be presented with a transparent window that can be moved and resized to selectively capture certain portions of the screen.

You can also have Cropper automatically create Thumbnails of each screenshot you take, if so desired. In addition to outputting BMP files, you can also output to PNG or variable-quality JPG files as well as send directly to the Clipboard or the default printer.

With it's small install size, easy to use and unobtrusiveness features, and cost (free!) , I would highly recommend Cropper to anyone who needs to take screenshots.

No comments: